Making A Trade
Couples In Christ, Sunrise Community
Successful professional sports teams frequently
strengthen weak positions via trades. So too you and I should regularly evaluate our
priorities. even our daily activities, and make trades to improve our position before God.
List of Good Stuff
Healthy job or business
Activities with spouse, family
Service at church
Time with friends
Might Compete With
Quiet time with God (just the two of you !)
Insight from God's word (are you sharing it?)
Healthy marriage relationship (can you share
anything comfortably with your spouse?)
Trade This . . . Any competing and quot;Good Stuffand quot;.
For This . . . Personal quiet time
Memorizing selected scripture
Sharing Christ with others
Think of the Commissioner, who approves all trades, as being God! Here are some rules from His Book of Regulations:
1. and quot;And He is before all things. and in Him all things hold together He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the first-born from the dead; so that He Himself might come to have first place in everything.and quot; (Col. 1:17-18)
2. and quot;If then you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, sealed at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth.and quot; (Col. 3:1-2)
3. and quot;Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God.and quot; (Col. 3:16)
4. and quot;For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely Hisand #133;.and quot; (2 Chron 16:Sa)
5. and quot;And he will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither; and in whatever he does, he prospers.and quot; (Psalm 1:3)
quot;And the seed which fell among the thorns,
these are the ones who have heard, and as they go on their way they are choked with
worries and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to maturity. And the
seed in the good soil, these are the ones who have heard the word in an honest and good
heart and hold it fast, and bear fruit with perseverance.and
quot; (Luke 8:14-15)
Do you remember the scene from Hebrews Highlights in which some of the actors and actresses had moved out of the spotlight, over to the edge of the stage? The allure of the world enticed them to compromise their commitment to the Director, and they began to miss His cues.
Or how about our Marriage House? The foundation is Christ, but what type of soil supports Him in your marriage?
I suggest that a couples joint temperaments. personalities, and backgrounds determine their and quot;soil typeand quot;. Some soils are expansive (clay), some are touch to penetrate (hard pan), and some are unstable (silt). All are subject to erosion to some degree
Erosion can occur invisibly (below the surface) before external devastation strikes. Some soil types, such as silt, can absorb large quantities of water before suddenly collapsing.
Allowing erosion in your marriage displaces Christ's position as your foundation. You must allow Him to stay in the #1 position.
Alvarado Adobe in Monterey: Puzzle of sagging wall was traced to unstable soils
(old cess pool) beneath the foundation!
You want your team (you and your spouse) to win the championship, right? Then make the necessary trades this season! All successful teams do this
Purge unhealthy activities from your daily routine
Excessive or inappropriate television. including video games
Too much time spent in any leisure activity. including sports.
Any activity that the Commissioner would tell you violates His rules
Study the Rook of Regulations (your Bible!)
Allow others to hold you accountable.
and quot;Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win.and quot;
(1 Cor. 9:24)
Making A Trade, Couples In Christ June 29. 1997,
� 1996 Dan Kinnoin, All Rights Reserved
Home | Lesson Archives | Upcoming Events | Christian Links